Isa Mines School opened in May 1932 and was located on about 8 acres of land close to the present
King’s Cross area of Mine side. The first Principal was Mr McPhail and 79 pupils were enrolled on the
The new school at Happy Valley opened in 1964 but from then until 1971 children were split, with
grades 5, 6, 7 at Happy Valley and grades 1, 2, 3, 4, at Isa Mines School. The final merger of the two
parts of the school occurred on 20th November 1971. The original Isa Mine Plaque of Insignia is now
incorporated into a commemorative cairn located in the lawn area at the school entrance.
The modular type buildings of this school were erected during 1971. The first library was built in
In 1977 the Preschool opened its doors to approximately 90 pupils. The assembly area, ‘the hill’, an
open-air stage was finally ready for use in 1979. This area was redeveloped to become an upper oval
play area for students in Prep – Year 2. The area was part of a commonwealth funding project and
was completed in 2007.
In 2008 the school was also fully air conditioned and more recently Federal and State funding has
enabled the school to establish a new multi-purpose hall, tennis court, a new resource centre and
refurbishments of classrooms.
Happy Valley State School
Happy Valley State School is located in Mount Isa, which is one of North Queensland and Australia’s premier mining areas.
Happy Valley State School community reflects Mount Isa’s multicultural population and includes support programs to improve outcomes for all students.
At Happy Valley State School, we work together to ensure that every child individualised success in their academic and social-emotional learning, within an environment that is both supportive and challenging.